Friday, November 26, 2010

So if you're too school for cool..

LOVE the new Pink song. And she is with child. She is one bad mamba jamba!



Things are movin’ and groovin’ at school and I am enjoying my kids. For some reason it takes me a season or so to quit wishing I would walk in and see my previous class in their desks ready to read my mind. But alas, here we are; working hard and having some fun along the way. Just ask em'!

Twin Day was more like Quintuplet Day, but with these girls, I wasn't complaining. Three of these sweet things were students from last year (one is a current student), all who I simply adore. Seriously, I have contemplated calling their moms to see if they could play; THAT is how cool they are.

A classroom conversation evolved into a discussion where (several) students willingly admitted to brusing their teeth only once a day and occasionally going to bed without brushing. BARF! They noticed the look of complete disgust on my face as I ranted about how oral hygiene is linked to serious health problems and other things they could care less about at their age. So I pulled out the big guns… Allie came in with a cute little power point with some crazy nasty pictures of rotting teeth and a book about mouth bugs that hopefully got the point across. Actually I know it did as parents have told me their child now “dry brushes” and sets a timer.
The other day I received this email from a student’s mom; it made my heart smile. Real big.
K came to me this afternoon and says “Can I call Miss Askins?” I said, “No the phones go straight to voicemail at school and she’s kind of “off duty” for students after school.” He replies, “Shoot, I really need to talk to her…are you sure?” I ask him if there is something I could help him with and he says “No thanks, Mom. Sometimes I just need my teacher.” :) I.love.it.

Don't worry, school has been all consuming (if you know me well, you know how true this is...) I have made room for fun too. There is more where this blog updating thing came from!

1 comment:

Cheryl Elmer said...

You are the best teacher ever! Miss you.